There are many items that every angler will want to have before setting out to fish. Canadian Tire has a range of essential fishing gear including rods, reels, baits, and apparel so you can prep for any trip in one place.
What essential gear do I need for fishing?
Whether you’re a beginner or professional, you’ll want to have the following fishing supplies with you:
· Fishing Rod and Reel – Depending on your style of fishing and what your preferences are, you’ll want to choose the right rod and reel. Whether it’s a spincast or baitcasting rod, for example, will depend on the benefits you’re after.
· Fishing Line – Line is available in a variety of diameters and materials. The most simple and common starter option is monofilament, while there are braided and fluorocarbon options for more specific use cases.
· Bait – Live baits are useful for reeling in a range of fish. Nightcrawlers are considered the most effective and well-rounded option, while there are also mealworms, minnows, shrimp, and more.
· Hooks, Weights, and Floats – Choose the right hook, weight, and float (bobber) to help you make a catch. Weights provide more casting distance, while floats show you when a fish is eating your bait.
What other gear should I buy for fishing?
Some other useful items you may want to purchase include:
· Fish Finder – Fish finders can be useful to get a better idea of the water you’re fishing in. The device can tell you more about the condition of the seabed, water depth, and the distribution of fish.
· Lures – Artificial lures are a great alternative to live bait and come in a variety of sizes and styles. For example, jigs jerk through the water while spoons reflect light and move unpredictably. Each type suits different fish and bodies of water.
· Tackle Bag or Box – A tackle bag can be useful for storing and transporting all your fishing gear. With pockets and compartments to organize things effectively, fishing becomes a breeze.