The trick to choosing the right mower is matching the machine to your budget, yard size and power preference. We have a wide selection of trusted brands that will help you create a beautifully manicured lawn. Let us help you pick the best mower for your needs.
Depending on the type of lawn you have, there are certain mower options that will work better for you. Here are a few reference points to help clarify.
• If your lawn is less than 2000 square feet you should consider a reel mower, unless your grass is thick and tall. • If your entire lawn is within reach of a 100' extension cord you should consider an electric mower. • Cordless and gas mowers are ideal for property sizes up 15,000 square feet. • For areas with rough terrain, you should consider a lawn mower with high rear wheels. • If there are many hills in the area you're mowing, a self-propelled, gas-powered lawn mower may be right for you. • For areas with many curves or obstacles, a self-propelled gas mower is a good choice. The front-wheel drive provides more manoeuvrability than rear-wheel drive. • If you're cutting around trees, shrubs, and gardens, a compact lawn mower ideal.
Gas Lawn Mowers
Known for their strong performance, gas-powered lawn mowers are recommended for cutting through tall, thick grass and are ideal for large lawns.
• All gas mowers available at Canadian Tire feature 4-stroke engines, which run quieter than 2-stroke engines and cause less pollution.
• Because the oil and gasoline remain separate, the chore of pre-mixing is eliminated.
• Gas-powered lawn mowers require periodic maintenance in order to keep operating at peak efficiency.
• QPT (Quiet Power Technology™) by Briggs & Stratton® is up to 60% quieter and you never need to change the oil. Look for the technology under our exclusive Yardworks brand.
A self-propelled gas lawn mower can reduce mowing time and fatigue by eliminating the strain of pushing the mower. This can be a wise choice if you have health concerns or don't want to stay out in the sun too long.
Three self-propelled systems are available:
• Front Wheel Drive (FWD) offers better manoeuvrability around trees and flower beds, as well as good traction on flat terrain.
• Rear Wheel Drive (RWD) offers great traction on all terrains and thick grass.
• All-Wheel Drive (AWD) offers the best traction on hilly and uneven terrain.
Cordless mowers are convenient because you aren’t limited by a cord and you avoid the necessary maintenance of gas engines.
• Push-Button Start: No pull-chain - Just push the button to get started.
• No Gas & Oil Mixtures: Don't worry about complicated (and messy) fuel and oil mixtures - Simply charge and it's ready to use.
• Runs cooler for 80% longer motor life: models with a brushless motor have a cooler motor that lasts longer than other conventional lawn care products.
• 70% Less Vibration: Avoid the heavy vibrations that come from gas-powered equipment. Substantially lower vibration makes completing your task easier and less strenuous.
• Significantly Less Noise: Perform your yard work without the loud noise that comes from a gas-powered engine. Your neighbours (and ears) will thank you.
• Interchangeable Batteries: The Yardworks and Greenworks families of products all have interchangeable batteries within the same battery voltage.
• Continuous Runtime: The continuous runtime mower includes 2 lithium-ion batteries and a quick charger — swap the batteries between the mower and charger to enable infinite mowing. You’ll never have to wait for a battery to finish charging again, meaning no interruptions to your mowing job.
A manual reel lawn mower is an environmentally friendly choice that is also economical, lightweight, and requires very little maintenance. The scissor-like blade action from this model provides a closer, more high-quality cut than gas or electric lawn mowers.
• This is the most basic type of model available on the market. It's easy to use, quiet to operate, and requires no gas.
• Non-contact blades stay sharp longer and make the mower easier to push and considerably less noisy.
Brushless is a motor technology that is available on select cordless models. Since brushless motors don’t have wearable brushes, these motors result in less friction meaning less heat and higher efficiency.
Oil and gasoline are added separately; no pre-mixing required.
CC (cubic centimetres)
CC is the size of the engine on a gas mower.
OHV (Overhead Valves)
This engine design is more efficient and offers longer valve life as well as better fuel economy.
The larger the deck, the wider the cutting swath and the quicker the job gets done. But remember that the wider your mower, the harder it will be to manoeuvre around shrubs and other obstacles.
Not to be confused with a manual mower, this is a gas-powered mower that is not self-propelled.
Also known as a manual mower.
Experienced gardeners know that mulching is one of the best things you can do for your soil and your plants. Organic mulches, such as grass clippings, help improve the soil by adding organic matter as they decompose. This helps suppress weeds. It also helps to conserve moisture, thereby reducing evaporation and preventing soil erosion.
A mulching lawn mower cuts your grass into fine clippings and leaves them on your lawn to decompose. This not only saves you the trouble of raking or bagging the clippings, it reduces the number of times you'll have to water your lawn.
This collects grass clippings, which may be used for composting, and provides the look of a well-manicured lawn. A rear-bag mower is narrower and therefore easier to manoeuvre than a side-bag mower.
A side discharge ensures that grass clippings are dispersed onto the law. These are best for lawns with few obstacles and ideal for cutting high grass.
• Electric mowers do not include an extension cord – make sure to purchase a cord with the correct gauge for your machine to ensure proper safety and operation
• Some cordless mowers only include 1 battery – extra batteries can be purchased separately to extend mower runtime
• If purchasing a reel mower, consider buying a reel mower sharpening kit so you can easily keep the blades sharp and maintained
• All gas mowers require regular maintenance and changes to the air filter, spark plug and oil. Canadian Tire carries the replacement parts you need to keep your gas mower in top shape!