Lawn Tractor & Riding Mower Buying Guide
Canadian Tire carries a wide selection of lawn tractors. But with so many lawn tractors and lawn tractor accessories to choose from, how will you know which is right for you? Four considerations will make this big question easier to answer: cutting width, transmission, engine and features.
- 1/2 to 1 acre - choose a lawn tractor with a cutting deck width of 38" to 42"
- 1 to 2 acres - consider a lawn tractor with a cutting deck width of 42" to 46"
- 2 acres or more - choose a lawn or garden tractor with a cutting deck of 46" or more
TIP: The wider the deck, the faster you'll get the job done. But remember, wide decks are best for large open lawns, while narrow decks make it easy to manoeuvre around obstacles.
Just like today's cars, lawn tractor transmissions offer choices beyond manual or automatic, offering increased levels of comfort and performance.
- Transmatic – allows you to up-shift through the gears without clutching. Clutch is only required to down-shift when stopping or changing direction.
- AutoDrive™ – allows you to automatically control the ground speed using a foot pedal so you can keep your hands on the wheel. No shifting or clutching is required to increase speed.
- Hydrostatic – offers durability, virtually no maintenance and infinitely variable ground speed with the ease of foot pedal control. This drive system is especially suited to tow-behind attachments like a dump cart or lawn sweeper.
- Zero-Turn Radius – combines twin hydrostatic drive systems and front-mount deck design for lawn tractors that can turn on a dime. Larger deck sizes, faster ground speed and greater manoeuvrability can eliminate the need for additional trimming, reducing your mowing time.
When comparing engines for size and type, think about the size of your lawn and the number of hills you have to climb:
Single Cylinder - Overhead Valve (OHV) - runs cooler and cleaner with less vibration than a standard single-cylinder engine. A cast-iron cylinder sleeve helps extend engine life. This engine also features a separate air filter.
V-twin (Two Cylinder) - Overhead Valve (OHV) - A great choice for power, reliability and smooth-operation. Runs cooler and quieter, offering the lowest emission rating, and longest engine life in its class.
Compare available features before making your final decision, keeping in mind who will be using the lawn tractor most. A premium lawn tractor will include features that make mowing easier, safer and more comfortable.
Electric Power Take-Off (PTO)
Turn the blade on and off by simply pushing/pulling a dashboard knob.
Operator Controlled ‘mow in reverse’
Activate once for uninterrupted mowing in both directions when the area is clear.
Adjustable High-back Seat
High-back support gives much-needed comfort for longer jobs. Fingertip adjustment makes reaching the controls and pedals easy.
Comfort Grip Steering Wheel
A specially moulded comfort grip reduces driver fatigue and offers more control.
Deck Wash Function
Simply attach a garden hose. Water and blade action cleans under the mowing deck to promote a better cut and lower maintenance.
Protect your lawn tractor in use and in storage with an integral steel bumper.
Canadian Tire offers a variety of popular accessories and routine maintenance items for the jobs you tackle most often.